02 April 2011

What Am I Doing?

Peace Corps language training is a pretty intensive process. We spend 18 hours per week in training with our language facilitator, then another 1.5 hours in tutoring (1 hour is one on one training and the half hour is business specific language). Then we are all living with host families, so we get to go home and practice what we learned. 

I have only been in Ukraine for a week and a half, but it's amazing what I have already learned. I still feel like a child trying to get along, but I think I've made it up to third grade level. I have already learned past and future tense! I can't use it very easily, but it will get there. 

Living with a host family is challenging but very rewarding. I have been used to living on my own and being very independent, and it's quite different to live with someone I can't always communicate with very clearly. I am amazed at their generosity in opening up their home and family to me, and it makes quite a difference in my ability to learn the language.


2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're making it through the language - sounds like quite a challenge but I know you're up to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pssst... learn the curse words! 8D *hugs*

    ReplyDelete