01 March 2011

Happy Birthday Peace Corps!

Today is the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps. It's rather amazing to think I'm on my way into an organization that has lasted that long and has touched so many people.

As of yesterday, I am three weeks away from departure. My last day at work was Friday, so now it's just packing and planning.

Honestly, I'm most worried about training. I have studied Slavic languages before and lived in Prague for a semester, so I think I can adapt fairly well to the language and culture aspect. The vagueness of the work I'll be doing is a bit troublesome, but I'm smart and flexible, so I don't really doubt that I'll be able to accomplish something. But I'm not good at sitting and paying attention for long periods of time, so the two months of intensive training does concern me. I also worry about living with a host family. I'me used to living on my own and having quite a bit of privacy and control of my surroundings, and while I know it's an essential part of acclimatising to the local culture, living with a host family does worry me quite a bit.

This week begins the big Packing & Purge(tm). Over the past 10 years or so, I lived the traditional life of get a job, get income, get things. There are so many items in my life that I don't ever use or touch but keep around. I'm looking forward to eliminating a lot of the baggage I've been carrying around for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment